Montenegro police names Draskovic shooting suspects
PODGORICA, Jun 21, 2000 -- (Reuters) Montenegrian police said on Tuesday they had arrested two suspects in last week's shooting of a Serbian opposition leader and had identified two others who were being sought.
Police said two more people were believed to be involved in the assassination attempt against Serbian Renewal Movement leader Vuk Draskovic on Thursday night, but they did not have their names.
A police statement said all four named suspects came from Serbia, which together with tiny Montenegro make up the Yugoslav federation. They had asked Serbian police for help in apprehending those still at large, the statement added.
Draskovic, 53, was wounded when gunmen opened fire through a window of his apartment in the Montenegrin sea resort of Budva.
Montenegrin police said late on Friday they had detained the gunmen and their accomplices and knew who had ordered the shooting, but did not give any details.
Draskovic has accused Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic of responsibility for the shooting.
But a Yugoslav government minister said Milosevic's foes, ranging from U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright to domestic opponents, were behind the shooting.